Tuesday 12 June 2012

Organising my life one post at a time


To start a blog, or not to start a blog. That is a question I have been asking myself for quite a few months now…

My life has been somewhat hectic for the last 6 12 18 months. 2011 was a crazy year. I finished off a PhD, I started a job (yes I pay taxes now!), got married, moved house and started to make a real home with my husband (Mr PTC) rather than the student flats I have lived in for the last eight years. 2012 was supposed to be calmer… but Mr PTC is now finishing his PhD (as well as working full-time for the last 4 months), so I happily grumpily agreed to take on more and more of the housework and running of the home to take the strain off him. Knowing how tough the last months of a PhD are I knew the kindest thing I could do was to remove as many pressures on his life as possible to reduce the strain on him and let him focus. What I didn't realise is that running a house by yourself, gardening for the first time since I was a child, decorating and holding down a full-time job is harder than I thought! 

Oh to have a house as organised as Martha's!
When Mr PTC and I first moved in together three years ago we naturally fell into a rhythm of sharing all the house work, the shopping, paperwork and generally organising life. We pick the chores that we are best suited to (so he vacuums, I bleach, he does the dishes, I cook…). I didn't realise how much I appreciated this until recently. Doing everything yourself is crazy! Then on top of that we moved to a house in the country with a garden that is double the size of the little flat we lived in before and requires me to garden and clean the car regularly because we drive 30 miles every day.

For the last few months, sorry the last year, chaos has descended on the PTC house. By the end of the week the house looks like a bomb has hit it, then I frantically run around all weekend tidying up and doing all the chores so that by Monday morning we turn up to work exhausted only to find that Mr PTC has odd socks, I've not ironed my shirt and I've lost my office key.

Enough is enough. Life has to be put in order. So I am starting a blog, where little by little I will organise, decorate and sort out my life, with the blog hopefully holding me to account. There are so many things I want to find the time for, so hopefully I will not only organise my life but organise my time to fit in the stuff I want to do rather just the stuff I have to do. This is not the first time I have tried to straighten my life out… but this is the worst it has got. Yes, life has been incredibly busy for the last 18 months, but I am not entirely sure we won't have busy periods again in the future, and I certainly want to be able to deal with them better should such a situation arise again!  Hopefully I'll end up with a house like Martha's. OK, maybe not. But we can all dream!

So here I am about to share my small little world with the big wide world of the internet. I just hope that this isn't a mistake!

No comments:

Post a Comment